Collecting inspirational kitchen photos is a great way to start when you are thinking about a kitchen design. Houzz and Pinterest are great sources to look at. With a new build things can quickly add up, so having a budget for us was key.
In our new build we kept the existing layout as it made the most sense. If you are thinking about a kitchen design or buying from a builder here in Ottawa here are a few tips for your kitchen:
- Your kitchen should be functional. The oven, sink and fridge should be close enough so you are not walking miles to get to each appliance.
- Choose your style and have fun with it. I wanted a more contemporary kitchen this time but mixed flat panel and shaker panel door fronts. I also chose a mix of handles and door knobs. Mix things up!
- Decide on how much storage you really need. We are a little minimalistic at our home, so I chose open shelving as well as the usual doors and drawers. Open shelving adds interest but it is also practical.
- Have your appliances look built-in. Choose your appliances before to give your kitchen a clean aesthetic.
- Think about flooring and countertop materials. Durable countertops are important and practical.
- Integrated garbage bins, soft close doors, pot drawers, and under cabinet lighting are a splurge but nice to have.
- Designing a kitchen that suits your particular needs can be a long process. I knew exactly what I wanted and came to Deslaurier with a sketch.
I had a great kitchen designer who made some great suggestions and made sure (along with Scott) that all the measurements were right. Here is a look of my kitchen design with the help from Pam Vanderbraak at Deslaurier Custom Cabinets here in Ottawa.
Daniela Pluviati & Pam Vanderbraak