Now that summer is fast approaching it is a good time to start organizing. I don’t like clutter and having an uncluttered home makes me feel happy.
Researchers agree that streamlining clutter has many advantages and does benefit your physical health.
Here are five easy ways to tackle clutter and feel better about your home.
- Divide and conquer. Decluttering and organizing your entire home is daunting, so start in one area in your home but finish the task.
- Recycle, donate, sell or garbage. Decide what you want to keep, give away or sell. There are many places in Ottawa that take gently used clothing, home decor or small appliances. Check out The Salvation Army, Value Village or Habitat For Humanity.
- Buy storage baskets, buckets, bins and trays if needed. Baskets are great for a front closet. We use several baskets and one large tray as well for Lego to keep things organized in our family room.
- Go through books and magazines. Donate used books and recycle magazines. I rip out only the pages I really like and paste them in a book.
- Check expiry dates and remove what Is expired. This is true for not only food but medication as well. When organizing your bathroom it is a good idea to go through all your makeup as well.
- Think before you buy. Ask yourself these questions: Will I use it? Will I have to store it? Do I want to clean and maintain it? Do I really need it?