City Loft by Sherwin Williams
Sherwin Williams City Loft is a beautiful warm white with grey undertones. While it is warm white, it is also so fresh looking. It is a great paint colour and can work well with light or dark coloured floors. I chose a white for the trim and baseboards making sure the trim was a crisp white with no yellow undertones to it. Have a look!
City Loft looks great with taupes, whites and blacks. I used the paint colour in my latest showcasing.
You don’t have to live close to the coast to enjoy beach inspired paint colours. There are so many colours that can evoke a coastal feel for the home.
Think of different shades of earth tones found in sand, shades of blue and green from the ocean and what we draw as inspiration from sea shells, coral and the various colours of stones.
Here are 10 beach inspired paint colours that will make your home feel like you are on vacation. Just think, you may not want to leave during our winter months! Here are my Sherwin Williams and Benjamin Moore picks!
Sherwin Williams Open Air 6491
Benjamin Moore Bird’s Egg 2051-60
SW Jay Blue 6797
Benjamin Moore Harbour Haze 2136-60
SW Sea Salt 6204
Sherwin Williams Pearl Grey 0052
SW Amazing Gray 7044
BM OC-19 Sea Pearl
CC-Sea Urchin Benjamin Moore
BM Fan Coral
With all of us working from home, a home office would be nice to have. We have been using our dining room table for work, but when your home has an open floor plan things can look messy. Our spare bedroom was for my dad who would spend weekends with us. He is now in a long term care facility. Making a spare bedroom into a home office makes sense for us now.
Our winters are long and I want our office to look bright even during our long winter months. I am keeping my desk but adding some much needed storage for books, a printer etc. A new ceiling light and a coat of paint should finish the room off nicely. Here are some photos, we are just getting started!
If you are going a little stir crazy then this might be a good opportunity to do a DIY home project. Here are some easy DIY home projects that you can tackle right now! Take a look!
Add character to your walls with wainscoting. If you do not have the materials, places like Home Depot offers curb side pick up for materials ordered online.
Add a simple backsplash. Do you have tiles laying around and your own tile cutter that you never had the opportunity to use? Maybe this is the perfect time to try tiling. If you have a small job then why not?
Refresh your room with paint. Paint is a great way to refresh any room. You can paint the entire room or even just an accent wall for a quick DIY home project.
Sherwin Williams Alabaster. Or you can also paint the ceiling!
Update your bathroom mirrors, or door handles/knobs for an inexpensive refresh.
Good luck with all your DIY home projects.
Happy Easter Monday!
With spring in full swing, now is a good time to tackle some projects. This is also a perfect time to ensure there is no damage around the home as well. Here is a spring home checklist to help you along.
- Remove snow from window wells. Water that pools in window wells can cause a host of problems. Remove snow close to the foundation as well. Check basement for mold.
- Check the batteries in your smoke and carbon monoxide alarms.
- Change your furnace filter. Furnace filters should be replaced every three months.
- If you are thinking about painting spring is a good idea to gather photos of colours that you like or hire a colour consultant for help narrow down and choose a paint colour (when COVID-19) is over of course.
- Clean your home and store winter items. Clean out closets and wash heavy linens. Now is a good time to store winter accessories like skiis.
- Check or have someone check the roof for damage or cracked shingles.
- You should check and clean the humidifier. Vinegar works well if your humidifier needs to be cleaned.
In addition to our usual routine, here are some of the extra measures we’ve introduced to promote health and safety:
- We’ve added extra requirements and increased frequency for disinfecting surfaces and deep cleaning throughout the day for all stages and de-stages. We will wipe down with disinfectant: any door knobs, light switches and surfaces we touch in homes we are working in.
- Our furnishings will only go into vacant homes. We are still taking appointments for colour consults and staging consults. We have stopped rentals on accessory packages for occupied homes.
- We are making sure anyone feeling sick knows to stay home.
- We will continue to follow updates and protocols from the World Health Organization and Government of Canada Public Health.
The goal of this property was to work with a budget and standard finishes from Mattamy. I wanted to work with standard cabinets but make the home not so cookie cutter looking.
The oak cabinets feel “heavy” but with a white, crisp backsplash and no uppers it gives the kitchen a fresher approach. Yes, there really are minimal upper cabinets! There is plenty of space (I think) on the lower cabinets for storage. A DIY hood vent was a great idea and Scott did a great job.
We also saved money by choosing a laminate countertop as well as all standard tile. The paint colour that I chose was a standard choice as well. To make the kitchen look like not your typical builder basic kitchen I chose different hardware and Scott installed some shelves and scones. Yes, you can work with oak cabinets. You just have to be a little creative!
Here are some photos. Take a look!
With one month already behind us, February is a good month to really start tackling the “what to do list” for the home. Here are a few things you can do right now to make your home a happy place.
Love your plants. Studies have proven that house plants improve productivity, concentration, reduce stress levels and boost your mood.
Avoid heavy drapes that block all light. Natural light increases endorphins and serotonin. Studies have also shown that workers in sunlit areas are more productive than workers without exposure to natural light.
Your home should reflect your personality and style, which in turn makes us feel happy. Show off your kids artwork or pottery. Style your home with colours that put a smile on your face.
A cluttered home can leave you feeling stressed. Finding items in clutter can be a frustrating challenge. It is also difficult to clean when there is too much “stuff ” lying around. This is a great month to start decluttering room by room.